I recently did a new install of WordPress for my travel blog called Around The World In 80 Raves. On logging into the WordPress dashboard i went to the plugins page to and received the WordPress Oops That Page Can’t Be Found error. I found this very strange considering it was a brand new install and it was one of WordPress’s internal pages rather than my own post/page.
Not knowing what to do i decided to contact my hosting company as i installed WordPress via them. My hosting company Arvixe were able to point me in the right direction and showed me the fix which is listed below.
UPDATE 2017-07-25: If you are looking for a new hosting company then i would highly recommend checking out SiteGround as this is the company i now use for all my clients who i design websites for. (Disclaimer: That is an affiliate link and i will get money if you sign up). If you are looking for someone to design a web page for you then please get in contact.
How to Fix WordPress Oops That Page Can’t Be Found
- Browse to the files for your website either via cPanel or FTP. If using cPanel look for the “File Manager” button.
- If it is an add-on domain (multiple domains on one hosting package) then make sure you browse to the specific add-on domains directory as there will be multiple .htaccess files.
- Open the “.htaccess” file for editing. It should look something like the below:
- The top line will be something like “AddHandler application/x-httpd-php55 .php .php5 .php4 .php3” which needs to be commented out. To comment it out put a hash in front of it so your new top line should read something like “#AddHandler application/x-httpd-php52 .php .php5 .php4 .php3”
- Save the file and refresh the page you were having issues with. Everything should now be fixed.
I hope you have now solved the “WordPress Oops That Page Can’t Be Found” issue. If there are any other reasons why you may get this error then please let me know in the comments.